Children's Party Recipes (6 Posts)
Feeding other people's children can be daunting, especially with the added pressure of a children's party. The resounding whine of "don't like it" doesn't belong at a party - so we have pulled together a few simple ideas for you!
Don't forget that the day of the party is usually pretty busy, so prepare as much of your food in advance as possible and make sure you check for any food allergies or intolerances.
If you have an idea for the perfect banana custard, the best cupcakes or your birthday cake recipe is the best in town, drop us an email and we would be delighted to add it to this section and help other mums who may not be quite such a dab hand in the kitchen.
There’s something special about lemonade.
Served ice cold in a tall glass, with a straw and slice to boot, you can’t help but feel a little better, a little fresher and a little bit more summery with every sip.Read more...
These lovely cookies are perfect for baking for your loved ones on Valentines day!
Don't forget to use as many organic, locally sourced ingredients as you possibly can...Read more...
There is no better way to show the birthday girl or boy how special they are then create a themed, fun cake!
Probably the most important food item on the party menu is the birthday cake. The cake makes the party into a real celebration...Read more...
Smoothies are the perfect party food! Not only are they packed full with important vitamins and nutrients essential for growing children, they are very colourful and, most importantly - kids love them!
Prepare the fruit the night before and place in the freezer - this keeps the smoothies cold and gives them a great consistency. All recipes serve between 8 and 10 children.
Method: Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth!
- Little Berry: 4 cups Vanilla Yogurt, 2 cups strawberry nectar, 3 cups frozen quartered strawberries, 4 frozen bananas, sliced
- Orange Jester: 4 cups orange segments, 3 cups apple juice, 4 cups orange sherbet, 4 cups frozen raspberries
- Nana Rama: 6 frozen bananas, sliced, 6 passion fruit, halved, 600 ml natural yogurt, 150 ml milk, 3 tsp runny honey
- Purple Princess: 4 cups frozen vanilla yogurt, 2 cups grape juice, 3 cups frozen red grapes, 3 cups frozen blueberries
- Peachy Prince: 2 cups natural yogurt, 2 cups sliced peaches, 8 tablespoons frozen apple juice
- Mud Pie: 2 cups silken tofu (it's in the Supermarket!), 3 cups chocolate milk, 2 cups chocolate sorbet, 4 frozen bananas, sliced, Float a few mini marshmallows on the top as a yummy garnish
These lollies can be made and frozen in advance, they are perfect for a hot day, and they last up to two months in the freezer. You can substitute any of the fruit for a different flavour (mango works well) - makes 8
250g Strawberries, 150g Raspberries, 130g Caster Sugar, 1000g Natural Yogurt
- Blend the fruit in a blender until smooth and place in the fridge
- Mix the yogurt with the sugar and stir to dissolve, divide between 8 lolly moulds or strong plastic cups and put in the freezer for about an hour
- Swirl the fruit mixture into the semi-frozen yogurts (they look great if you don't mix too much!) and return to the freezer for at least two hours until they are solid
- Stand them at room temperature for about 5 minutes before removing them from the moulds
Savoury Party Food Ideas
Children's Parties don't have to take the traditional form of tables overflowing with sweets, crisps, ice cream and unhealthy food. We are now far more aware of the nutritional value of what our children eat, and this can extend to the party table without ruining the fun!
Here are some top tips for healthier savoury party food for your child's birthday party... children love to get involved with food preparation, so roll up your sleeves, pop on your matching aprons and go and have some fun!
- Shaped sandwiches are much more fun and appeal to children more than plain ones, use cookie cutters to make shapes from assorted colours of bread.
- Pitta bread can be decorated with passata sauce, pepperoni, olives and cheese to make mini pizza open sandwiches.
- Pinwheels look great and are easy to make, simply cut off the crusts and spread a thin layer of your chosen filling on each slice. Roll up tightly and secure with a toothpick, before chilling in the fridge. Just before serving, remove from the fridge and cut into slices, taking care to discard the toothpicks before serving.
- Rolls and Baguettes can be decorated and made into happy faces or charactors to match the party.
- Chicken Nuggets - try to buy fresh ones rather than frozen or make them yourself, these are normally more nutritionally sound
- Chicken drumsticks - these can easily be made in advance and refrigerated. Take care to check that the juices run clear and there is no pink meat before serving.
- Mini Sausages or Sausage rolls - these are an all time favourite and as before, they can be cooked the night before and served cold, saving you time on the day.
Potato and Vegetable Dishes
- Stuffed potatoes - bake your potatoes in the oven, as normal, then cut them in half, remove and mash the flesh with other ingredients of your choice such as ham cubes, chicken and sweetcorn or cheese. Return the flesh to the shells and cover with cheese, then return them to the oven for a further 10 minutes to brown.
- Mash - this can be shaped to match your theme and decorated
- Potato Shapes - these are great for dipping but look out they don't go soggy!
- Vegetable Crudités - children love to dip carrot sticks, celery and colourful peppers, and as they are so healthy they should be made available in abundance! Why not try adding cherry tomatoes and corn on the cob too?
- Fruit can be half submerged in melted chocolate and sprinkled with icing sugar, or how about making colourful fruit kebabs and a sweet dipping sauce? Halve a melon and scoop out the seeds for a fun sauce dish, and fill with sweetened yogurt.
- How stunning is Little Cherry eco-friendly tableware for your wedding?! #BrideHour #woodencones #palmplates #wedding https://t.co/P6OKXERWyv 3 days ago
- RT @food_et_al: Find the food and drink finalists for tonight's BBC Food and Farming Awards https://t.co/mQSbKjYkmm #bbcfoodawards https://? 3 days ago
- RT @BBCCountryfile: Loads of luck to our #Countryfile Farming Hero finalists @CumbriaYFC @LonglandsCareFm and @JohnArmour6 at tonight's Foo? 3 days ago